Do you feel the need to retrieve the coins that have fallen through the gaps near the handbrake? First let me assure you that those coins will not cause any harm other than making occasional sounds when the car is driven through a pot hole. For other items like food (and other important things), retrieval may be necessary, and the only way to do that is to remove the handbrake panel.
Removing the handbrake panel is also necessary when adjusting the handbrake (removing slack) and inspecting the airbag module (for flooded vehicles).
Changing a flat tire is an essential skill that every driver must know. With practice, changing tires should take only about 20 to 30 minutes, even for first timers. You should not be driving if you do not know how to swap tires!
To change a flat tire:
1. Loosen the nuts using the supplied tool found at the boot.
2. Engage the hand brake.
3. Place the supplied jack in the designated position.
4. Lift the car to free the wheels.
5. Remove the nuts.
6. Swap the damaged wheel with the spare wheel.
7. Replace and tighten the nuts slightly.
8. Lower the car.
9. Tighten the nuts completely.
EcoSport (MT) has an anti-theft feature called steering wheel lock. After removing the key, any attempt to turn the steering wheel engages a lock that prevents the wheel from turning any further. To deactivate the lock, simply insert the key and nudge the steering wheel slowly back and forth while turning the ignition switch to start the vehicle.
To achieve a comfortable driving posture, it may sometimes be necessary to adjust the position of the steering wheel. The wheel, which is held in place by the steering column, can be moved higher, lower, closer, and farther, depending on the driver’s preference.
EcoSport’s rear door (boot door) does not have a manual override. If the door’s actuator fails, the rear door won’t open until repairs are made. In this video, I have demonstrated how I installed an emergency rear door open knob that you can simply pull to open the rear door.
The DIY manual override knob features the following:
1. When the vehicle is locked, the knob will be automatically disabled. If a child pulls this knob, it will not open the rear door for as long as the vehicle is locked.
2. When the engine is running and the knob is pulled, a notification ‘door open’ appears on the dashboard’s console. The rear door will open only when the vehicle is unlocked.
3. It integrates fully with the alarm system, i.e., if someone pulls this knob when the alarm is active, it will trip the alarm. But then again, with the vehicle locked, the alarm sounds off but the door will not open!
EcoSport’s service manual recommends engine air filter replacement every 40,000 km. Knowing how to replace the filter will not only save you on maintenance expenses, but also enables you to inspect (or clean) filters regularly.
To replace the engine air filter:
1. Remove the engine air filter’s compartment cover secured in place by four screws.
2. Lift the cover to access the filter.
3. Remove the old filter and replace it with the new one.
4. Replace the compartment’s cover and secure it in place.
I have another hobby—astrophotography. Checkout my other blog here.
In the next few months, I will be joining scheduled astronomical observations in NCR and nearby provinces, to capture photos of the moon, planets, and galaxies. Thanks to the spacious boot of our EcoSport, I can easily transport all my equipment.
To view our previous astronomical observations, click here.
To view more of our EcoSport road adventures, click here.
To view all EcoSport tutorial videos, click here.
To subscribe and receive posts about beloved EcoSport, click here.
There may be instances when you need to remove the head rest of an EcoSport (e.g., changing the seat cover). To remove or adjust the head rest, simply push the release button on the left and right pillars. As an interlock feature, one of the release buttons is hidden, and must be pushed with a pin.